Jun 9, 2014

Psy drops new single featuring Snoop Dogg


Psy just dropped new single "Hangover" featuring Snoop Dogg and, obviously, there will be people dissing and hating it. Not everyone will like it and, I'm almost 100% certain, it will be compared to "Gangnam Style" from here on to infinity. It shouldn't, but it will.

Do I like it? Yes. Do I love it? Not yet. Do I like it more than "Gangnam Style" and "Gentleman"? I'm not quite sure. But I will say this, I think it was definitely a huge risk and a brave move on Psy's part. Was it a smart move? I think so.

More than the song though, I think the video is something worth talking about. I love the video.


You know what I think is awesome about the video? Even though the song is 90% in English and features Snoop Dogg and is clearly Psy’s attempt at making the Western world understand him, the video is still one of the most Korean-looking videos I’ve ever seen in my life. And I've seen a lot of them.

Twerking dancers aside, there was a whole lot of Korean culture to ingest. Soju bombs, chowing down on ramyun at convenience stores (GS25 cameo), Korean drinking etiquette, old-school barber shops, noraebangs, disco pang pang at the amusement park, jjajangmyun at a billiard hall, and more soju till the sun rises. All these are things I’ve learned about Korea after years of kdrama watching and two visits to Seoul -- but Psy and his team were able to squeeze them all into a 5-minute video. Plus, it had awesome cameos from Big Bang's G-Dragon and 2NE1's CL. Daebak.


0 comments:

Post a Comment